According to the Zambia Daily Mail, Zambezi Portland has declared the 47 workers redundant because the company has recorded massive losses.
Mineworkers Union of Zambia (MUZ) general secretary Joseph Chewe confirmed the loss of jobs at a press briefing in Kitwe yesterday (Sunday).
Mr Chewe appealed to the government to intervene in the matter to protect the jobs of the 47 workers.
He said the workers have already been served with the letters and their last day of reporting to work was July 1, 2015.
“We would like to confirm that indeed it is true that management at Zambezi Portland has declared 47 of its employees redundant. We also have information that they are planning to lay off 53 more workers,” Mr Chewe said.
He has since urged management at Zambezi Portland to reinstate the 47 workers because the grounds on which they were declared redundant are not in conformity with the stipulated labour laws.
Mr Chewe said the company did not also engage the union when declaring the workers redundant, which is an abrogation of the collective bargaining agreement.
United Mineworkers Union of Zambia (UMUZ) president Wisdom Ngwira said it was wrong for Zambezi Portland Cement to declare the workers redundant on the basis that their cement sales were not doing well.
“We are aware that there is a new cement company that has come on the market and it is selling cement at a cheaper price but this is not the reason why workers should be declared redundant,” Mr Ngwira said.
He also appealed to the government to compel the company to reinstate the affected workers.
This is the first time that Zambezi Portland has recording losses or drastic decline in sales of cement from the time it was established and operated under the able guidance of Dr Rajan Mahtani.
The Ventrliglia family who are minority shareholders on April 6, 2015 using government machinery hired police officers to take over the running of the plant by force. Thus began the looting of the money that had been made by the real owners of the company. According to insiders, The Ventrlglai family have vowed to externalise the money to Italy and other countries before the next general elections and the firing of the workers is the first sign of what is really going on. By next year, Zambezi Porrtland will be a shell and the Ventrliglia family Mafia will flee before the elections. But most government officials can do anything because they are receiving heavy bribes to turn a blind eye to the looting and ongoing destruction of one of the biggest employers in the country. ZWD